July 24, 2014

July summer memories: baseball, pool fun etc.


(the best photo I've taken of Laura-Lise this year! We were at baseball at the Burnses)

Here are some more ''normal'' moments of July...without being too normal. (you don't want to see those. besides, we don't have any pictures of them!)

summertime baseball on some Monday nights....

It's fun to have Chad Burns doing fun stuff with the group again!
And we are always delighted to see Chad's wife Angie (whom you unfortunately can't see in the picture) and their adorable wee one! 

A little guy

Elodie

While those who wish to play baseball play baseball, several of us girls always take a stroll up and down the road and through the fields. I love this time to talk with my friend Sara, and my sisters! And anyone else who joins.




Sara

there's rarely anything sweeter than little girls in flower fields!
after baseball- Marty S, Peter B.

a picture from blueberry-picking day with friends!

Early in July, we held a family ceremony for Jessie's graduation from highschool, and Sam's graduating Thomas Edison College! It was fun to celebrate together, and our parents presented them with their official diplomas. 
(no, those objects pictured above are not their diplomas. they are cookies. ;) )

Of course July 4th was our fun Independence Day

Then came Elodie's 1940's-themed birthday which was amazing fun!
A picture from Elodie's birthday- the forest park portion. I love it. 
Either Sam or Elodie took it; I will have to verify with them!



    Later in July, we went to the Zoo, in order to ride the carousel for free!
(any rides preceding 9 am are free of charge!)
We love our St. Louis Zoo!
I think we've been going more as adults than as children!


Carousel art, courtesy of Nikola

Katia astride a...rabbit. Seriously? 
She's probably the first child to have chosen that hideous thing!

Carousels are so pretty! 

This little girl was like a little fairy or angel or something! adorable.

Haha- somehow it always looks funny to see people astride some animals...like Papa on a gorilla! I rode the red panda, of course
But then I turned around and saw Nikko on a small cat and I realized how ridiculous I probably looked as well! Oh well. 
We rode a few times, then walked quickly around much of the Zoo before heading home to do useful deeds.

flamingos at the Zoo.
More memories of July:
After years of sqozing into our plastic kiddie pools...
(insert embarrassing examples)
 ...and along with their subsequent demise, we finally made the decision to invest in a grand, family-size pool! I present to you....
the B. family pool! (otherwise known as a stock trough but we just won't mention that!)

   It is fantastic! We can fit 8 of us at a time! 
We look pretty silly, but we have fun and that's what counts!
 Actually, what delighted me most is that if I time my day just right, I get to swim in it by myself for about 20 minutes before the kiddies take over...
since the pool is 9 ft. in diameter, I have just enough width to stretch out and honestly practice my breaststroke (always my pride and joy!), 
regular and enthusiastic kicking (can't really do the arms and legs at once),
 and surprise: the butterfly stroke!
Butterfly stroke...

I'm so excited and can't wait for next summer! As I write, it is October and we have retired the pool until next year. But I swam in that lovely water until it was too cold even for me! I think the last time I swam the air was 60 degrees and there was no sun...but it was invigorating! :) 


Well, I do believe you will agree with me that we had a FULL July!
 I think part of the reason it was so family-ish was because our Dad was still out of employment (he started his new job on August 3rd). 
Which of course is stressful! Yet when he was with us, we forgot and just enjoyed ourselves! :) So we made some priceless memories together. 

We did find a new movie which went with Elodie's birthday theme and we love it!
The second half is a little depressing 'cause it's so realistic, but the first half is so fun! 
Just a great picture of immigrant family life in the '40s! Beautifully filmed!




No comments: