February 7, 2014

Tamburitzans...gypsy 2013


The gypsy number which was the finale of the Duquense University Tamburitzans most recent performance was one of the most brilliant dances they've ever presented.
The costumes- Slovak gypsy-  are absolutely beautiful, and the choreography was splendid.


A different dance they have done with the lovely costumes:

Iryna
I forgot my extra (and my best) battery for my camera...talk about tragic! Yet: I got to really watch the fascinating show to the fullest; only taking a few pictures per number. These portraits Sam captured. I love them!
I wish I had this costume...and I wish I looked like that! :)


Milos pulls off a great gypsy look ;)

before the encore....
....and after: 
Laura-Lise and I put together gypsy outfits... :) I know I'm a little old to be dressing up. But there are things one can do when one looks ten years younger than ones age...
 We always appreciate the Tammies taking a couple moments for pictures with us, their faithful fans!
With John Harbist, Emily Khninicky and Vassili Bushonow! 
Laura-Lise and Emily

I love gypsy dancing! This video is poor quality, but it's what the Tamburitzans let you see for free on their YouTube. (they sell great quality DVDs of their shows on their website) For their 75th season anniversary show in Pittsburgh, they had a great amount of alumna come back and dance with them. 
I would have loved to have seen that.
ROMALE!!! :)



6 comments:

The Quinn Family said...

Excellent photos, Marjo and Sam!
Looks like an amazing show! The costumes are so beautiful... I love the swirly skirts and the scarf/shawl things... so vibrant and FUN!
The pictures of you and L-L in gypsy costume are great! Though I can't quite agree regarding you looking a full decade younger than you actually are... ;) What, *you* would wish to change *your* appearance? You must be joking! Certainly, the young lady in the photo is beautiful, but in no way more so than your lovely, joyful self! Indeed, I read this blog and think silently, "I wish I looked like Marjo!" Ah well... :]

Mazzou said...

Zoe...it was beautiful! :)
Well...I must say that these past couple years I finally got used to my looks.
(it's so strange: people rarely see themselves and usually imagine themselves looking TOTALLY different. It's funny)
I realize that's it's not very honoring to God, who created me the way I am to complain about what I don't like about my looks! But there are some truths...and I still laugh over pictures of myself.

You are so sweet. :)

The Quinn Family said...

hee hee, you are very right about imagining one's self to look different than one actually does... for example, I was recently told that my "basic expression" (neither smiling nor frowning, etc.) comes across as appearing snobby and unfriendly - which is not at all how I imagined myself looking! And then, of course, I'm always imaging my whole self as appearing rather more elegant than I actually am... hee hee... ;)
Do you suppose *everybody* would wish to look differently in some way if they were given an opportunity? It seems like a lot of times what people are given is not esteemed nearly so highly by them as what the others are given... the other side of the fence always having the greener grass, you know... being content is not quite so simple as it sounds!

Zoƫ said...

Where are all the older posts??? I just realized that they aren't here???

Mazzou said...

Oh Zoe: WHO told you that you look snobby? 'Cause their wrong.
I felt the same way about myself a few years ago- I was just trying to be elegant and poised but I was worried people took it as pride. But I think most people are far more understanding than we imagine. :) Anyhow- to solve any problems, I just started apologizing to people and that helped break the ice a lot! I'd laugh and say something about looking haughty and they'd say ''not at all'' and whatever was hindering proper communication seemed to disappear and we were just two girls who understood where eachother was coming from.

Anyhow, I've been reading about contentment and such and NEVER again will I complain about my looks. I also read a book by Nick Vujicic (who has no arms or legs!) and that doubly reinforced my conviction that I should NEVER speak ill of what GOD has created me to be. I have been so blessed.

Thursday, April 03, 2014 Delete

Mazzou said...

Oh Zoe; the other posts are ALL in draft! When I fixed all my albums on Picasa Web Albums to private, it did something funny to my posts, so I have to reinsert the pictures when I get a chance. But I'll get around to it..bit by bit. :)