March 14, 2013

All-raw sugarless Cheesecake or baked sugarless cheesecake

Mini version: I halved the recipe,
which made two small ones like this. One I kept raw in the fridge- shown above- and the other 
I cooked for the next day! 

Finally: a healthy cheesecake made by Mazzou for Valentine's Day 2013! (thanks to Sally Fallon's book Nourishing Traditions for the original recipe!)
2016 update: this doesn't follow my current strict health code (Sweetened with Stevia) but it's fun for the person just beginning a healthy diet! :)
  • Ingredients:
  • 2 cups nuts (I used almonds and walnuts)
  • 1 cup pitted dates and/or raisins (you could even use figs or apricots- whichever you prefer/whatever is cheaper! I used dates and raisins)
  • 4 cups cream cheese softened
  • 4 organic or free range eggs, separated, at room temperature
  • 1 1/4 cups milk, preferably raw milk
  • 2 tablespoons gelatin
  • 1/2 cup raw honey (I used about 1/4 cup because I'm trying to eat a very minimal amount of sweet things.)
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla (sugarless; preferably homemade!)
  • pinch sea salt
  • some raspberries (to taste!)
  • unsweetened dark chocolate or pieces of an organic chocolate bar (to taste!) or carob coconut balls, frozen
In a food processor, process dates (and/or raisins) and almonds (and/or walnuts) until they form a sticky mass. (if not sticky enough, you could add some melted butter and/or honey! Also consider flavoring your crust with lemon zest or cinnamon...) Press into a buttered 9 inch by 13 inch pyrex pan to form a crust. (Next, I did bake my crust for 10 minutes in a 325 F degree oven just for fun, and then cooled it in the freezer while I prepared everything else!)
Put egg yolks and milk in a sauce pan, beat lightly, sprinkle with gelatin and warm slightly until gelatin is dissolved. In a food processor (or mixer), combine cream cheese, honey and vanilla and process until smooth. Add yolk/milk mixture and process until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and place in refrigerator while beating egg whites. Beat egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff, fold into cream-cheese mixture along with your desired amount of raspberries and chocolate pieces/crumbles and pour into crust. Chill several hours before serving. Garnish with extra raspberries and chocolate pieces.
Optional, but not as healthy: I cooked my second mini cheesecake in a 325 F degree toaster oven until it was set and golden on the top. Pictured above is the raw version.
With the minimal amount of honey which I put in the recipe, the raw version was sweeter than the cooked version, which was more like an Italian cheesecake appetizer!
DO ENJOY! :) 

No comments: